Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Kitchen / Bathroom Reno Progress

In the last post you previewed the bits and pieces that will make up our future kitchen. Now, for the fun, how-we're-getting there pics.
Before we could start on the kitchen we had to deal with the airplane-sized bathroom that is just around the corner. For obvious reasons we wanted to move the bathroom wall before we refloored the 3 back rooms (kitchen, back entry room, family room). No point in putting hardwood down just to cut it out to lay tile, amirite?

Of course, in an old house (or any house, maybe?) gutting a bathroom isn't just gutting a bathroom. It's updating wiring and plumbing, building a new support wall in a tiny crawl space, creating a header beam, and sistering in new joists. Not necessarily in that order.
Just writing all that was exhausting.



The bathroom was so cramped that it was really hard to get "before" shots while standing in it so I've label this open wall shot so you can get an idea of the layout. As you can see, there is a multitude of construction sins in need of redemption.


Check out how much space we gain by moving the wall! Woot!
I don't have any pictures of the new support wall that we built in the crawlspace. Peering into that old heating vent hole is as close to entering the crawlspace as I get, but rest assured that Keith and John were looking quite fashionable in their Tyveck suits as they maneuvered blocks and boards into the space.


New header beam


Clean-up crew
Surprise! We found some hidden windows. Also, has it been mentioned that snow shovels make excellent industrial sized dust pans?


5 comments:

  1. The work you're doing is UNBELIEVABLE. Really, it more than a remodel. That takes guts & passion. Impressive. -Shannan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty passionate about my end vision which helps keep the motivation up when we are feeling exhausted.

      Delete
  2. I'm new to your blog and I love reading about reno's! I wish I had my own home to do renovations on. I live in a two bedroom condo, and I have only been able to repaint the wall and add a few things here and there. I can't wait to see the look of your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete