Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Great Dining Table


Chick-a-dees, last time this room was on the blog was about a year ago and it looked a bit different. Now, I have a giant dining room table. And by giant I mean Keith, Toastie, and I could probably sleep on this thing and not touch. It’s hard to tell because the room is still empty and lacking in anything to give a sense of scale but it is 9x4'.
Basically, it’s a giant slab of glossy awesome and I feel very special to have a husband and dad-in-law that would make such a table for me. We used it for Christmas dinner and I can happily say it comfortably seats 12, which means that we can totally squeeze way more than that at it.   >>> Dinner party, anyone?

I don’t have specific, step-by-step instructions on how to build it. I only took pictures of the progress, but I do know it is a compilation of different tables we found on pinterest, modified to the size we wanted. This table by Shanty 2 Chic is the closest, although our top is quite different. FYI, ours was a tad more than $125 (but waaay cheaper than anything you can find at a store). The rustic, farmhouse table is trendy (and cheap!) but we opted for the more expensive, knot-free white pine for the top. We wanted a classy piece of furniture since the dining room is so central in our house.


I hope you enjoyed peeking into our table-making process. It was definitely work but so, so worth it if you have a vision AND a budget.

Still on our dining room to-do list:
- Floor covering / rug
- New light fixture to replace the ridiculous chandelier
- Add some COLOR
- Benches to go with our table
- Secure 4 parson chairs in a fun pattern to go at the heads


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a spectacular table! Lucky you for having some handy builders in your midst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!
      I'm like, "babe, how hard would it be to ________?" and he's like "Not too hard." He's kinda awesome for going along with all the projects I dream up.

      Delete
  2. Keeper! Awesome! I'm coming to dinner next time I am in town. Hopefully this Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome table! You guys did such a great job! Are you going to make them build the benches, too? :) I'm planning on inviting myself to your next dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes. benches will be built. although, my mom sourced 7 "board room" chair that are filling the gap right now. They definitely add a different sort of flair to the room. Currently trying to decide if I should bother reupholstering them...
      PS - I'll send you an invite.

      Delete
  4. This is so cool! I am quite in awe with your table building skills ^.^ One day I shall ascend to your level of DIY-amaz-tastic-ness. Yep.

    ReplyDelete