Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Saga of the Sequin Tray


 Keeping it real today! Here is a little DIY revamp that didn’t quite turn out they way I saw it in my mind. I'm not exclusive to this phenomena, right?

So it all started with this picture frame. In our apartment it hung in our kitchen with some art in it, but since moving I have found that it is the perfect size to sit atop my suitcase end table as a tray. But, after looking at it for awhile I had the idea that it needed a new look to go with the new purpose.


ENTER SPRAY PAINT.
ENTER SEQUINS.
ENTER PROBLEM.
Lesson here: There IS too much of a good thing.



You see, I got all excited and dumped lots of sequins in every color on the glass. Then I carefully placed the sheet of newsprint on top, put the back of the frame into place, screwed it down and flipped it over.

It was cute. Too cute for my taste, if you know what I mean. I felt like I was in Limited Too. (Not to bash the place because it totally made my head spin when I was a pip but it’s just not my groove now). It was so cute that I didn't even take a "finished" picture. There was just too much of too many good things. Instantly, I flipped it back over and grabbed the screwdriver to tone down the cuteness and up the design.


EXIT ALL BUT GOLD AND SILVER SEQUINS.
ENTER PAINT AND BRUSH.
ENTER PROBLEM 2
Lesson here: If you are going to use paint, don’t use newsprint. While I love the organic, simplified design I don’t love how the paper warped.



So anyways, this isn’t one of my finest DIY moments but you know what? That frame still makes an awesome tray. Even with the silver edges that I’m not quite sure about. ;)


Shout out to my seester for taking the pics!

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't know how to use this room without that tray!

    ReplyDelete