Saturday, December 28, 2013

With care



A few dozen or so Christmases ago, my great grandma made her family snazzy, felt, Christmas stockings. As the family grew, so did the number of stockings. At some point my Aunt became the stocking maker, stitching together countless cousin stockings.

Since these stockings are a the only ones I've ever known and pulling them out each year is a holiday necessity, I decided it was crucial that Keith get one and long, long over due that my immediate family's stocking collection be rounded out. Seriously, my dad has been waiting nearly 3 DECADES. So, on Christmas Eve the felt, sequins, and pinking shears were passed around and 3 man stockings were made. I say "man" stockings because you will note that the accent colors are reversed. We didn't intend for the guys to get white backgrounds and girls to have green. It just worked out that way with the felt we had on hand. Happy accident.



Oh, did I mention that we were up till 3 a.m. working on those 3 man stockings? It made for good memories (of a sleep deprived, sequin stingy mom that we couldn't help but snicker at) and a slow start on Christmas morning.

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhh!! Those are ALL so pretty! Merry Christmas! (and happy 2014!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas!! They look great!! You should have asked, I made one for Scott when Ptarmi asked and it goes without saying five more after that!
    I just figured people had their own traditions and were using what they grew up with. We still hang the one Mike used as a child...I did make him one to match mine and O's.
    Happy New Year too!!
    Love AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if we end up with a gaggle of little ones I will keep this offer in mind but really, it was fun to make those stockings together. Making one for Keith had been on my Holiday To-Do list for years but Christmas always sneaks up so quickly.

      Delete