Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Rug is finished!

try, try not to lust after our couch.

Late last week I finished The Rug!
I don't think I can properly explain how excited I am that it is done. Maybe that picture of me rolling around on it like a kid in a ball pit gives you an idea.

I'm glad for the experience - rug weaving can be added to my list of life accomplishments - but it took so much longer than I thought it would. I am happy to have the living room back for living. 
In addition to a massive amount of time, The Rug also used a tub full of fabric so if you are into re-purposing, this project is for you. After a while I quit keeping track but here is a rough count of what was used in the making of the rug:
  • 4 twin sheets
  • 3 full sheets
  • 5 pillow cases
  • 13 shirts
  • and countless other bits of fabric.
From the looks of it doesn't seem like it would take so much but my fingers would tell you that there definitely is.

If you are so interested and would like to learn my method of weaving (watch the YouTube video and pay careful attention!) or just see the rug in progress go HERE and HERE.



Do you like getting your craft on? 
Then follow along on Bloglovin' so you don't miss the next bit of DIY goodness I share!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Shakti! You must be absolutely thrilled with your handmade rug. It is gorgeous. Good for you. It actually didn't seem to take that long from my standpoint given all the work that would have gone into it. You will treasure it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loulou! I do plan to treasure it. In fact, I told Keith that if there is ever a fire the rug is what I'm saving. ;)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic!! I like the pictures, your technique is cool. Makes it 100% reversible. I think you finished it much faster than I ever could. I guess from the standpoint of having to trip over the frame if felt like forever. Can't wait to put my toes on it next month.....heading to Grandma and Grandpa's in 7 days:)
    AA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh! This came out amazingly!!!!!!
    (and yes... your couch is totally lust-worthy) ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clicked over from your comment on A Beautiful Mess and had to give you major love for this rug. It's beautiful and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, Erin. It was major work!

      Delete