Friday, June 28, 2013

ReVamp: Wood Folding Chair

chairPaint11
chairPaint9
"Just the other day" is what I want to say but, now that I think about it, a more accurate statement would be, "A few weeks ago". You know how things go ;)

Anyways.
A few weeks ago, while Keith and my dad-in-law were working on a carburetor, I made myself comfy in the driveway with a hideous, but nifty, wood folding chair and a few tools of improvement. AKA: spray paint and fabric.
If you've never updated a chair, rest assured that it is EASY. The whole sha-bang can be completed in just a few hours and can make a huge impact on how a room looks.

chairPaint1
chairPaint2
chairPaint

STEP 1 - Flip the chair upside down and unscrew the seat. Once this is off, give the chair a quick rough-up with sand paper and then wipe it down with a damp cloth.
STEP 2 - Spray paint, baby! I would recommend having 2 cans on hand. Nothing as annoying as running out of paint mid project. Work on recovering the seat while the paint is drying between coats.

chairPaint3
chairPaint3b
chairPaint5

STEP 3 - Lay the seat on your chosen fabric. Wrap the fabric around the seat and staple in place. Pull the fabric TIGHT and use LOTS of staples. As you can see, I didn't remove the old fabric, just covered it up. You might also notice that I had interfacing on the fabric. I did this because the fabric is not an upholstery fabric and need a bit of beefing up. Iron-on interfacing is perfect for adding structure and weight to thinner fabrics.

chairPaint7
chairPaint8

STEP 4 - If you are a lover of detail, sneak a bit of color onto the chair by painting inside edges. Believe it or not, this actually took the most time. Skip this step and updating your chair will take no time at all!
STEP 5 -  Screw the seat back in place. Plop your bum down. Enjoy a beverage.

chairPaint10

This is the chair in its habitat. Isn't it cute?
  

7 comments:

  1. What a nice chair. I don't think I've ever seen a folding chair that is that nice in fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is kinda unique isn't it? I was really surprised when I realized if folded.

      Delete
  2. The chair is very cute. You are so creative and busy!! I assume that is the NEW Bernina?
    Grandma keeps mentioning it.....she wants to see it in action:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fab! I love the little pop of colour, its very subtle. That's a really great makeover well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very nice Shakti! I didn't know that anyone made folding wooden chairs. Really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! What a convenient little chair also. Where did you find a folding one? Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete