Saturday, June 15, 2013

Cleaning Pyrex with Bar Keepers Friend

PyrexBarKeepersFriend2

Since my collection is ever growing, I've been doing quite a bit of research on Pyrex. Colors, dates, lids, promo pieces, AND care/keeping of it. While the type of cleaner you want to use depends on the type of grime (duh), Bar Keepers Friend is a cleaner that seems to be universally recommended. Over and over in my research I saw people post pictures of Pyrex that looked like rubbish -  grey metal scuffs all over and dishwashered (dwd) - only to be revived after a visit with the Bar Keepers Friend. Of course, this seemed too good to be true and I had to test it out myself. So started the hunt for a cheapo piece of Pyrex that had been abused. The key word being *cheapo*. No point in spending a lot of money on something that might not be fixable, right?

PyrexBarKeepersFriend3 PyrexBarKeepersFriend1


Overall, I would say that the outcome is OK.
Honestly, I think my hopes were set a little high. I wanted a miracle! A shiny, new piece to be in my hands when the cleaner was washed away. In reality, while it did an excellent job of removing the hard water build up, the shine has not been restored AT ALL. The color is more vibrant in general because there is no grime on it but the fridgie still has the dwd, etched feeling to it. If only there was a way to fix the scratches. *sigh*
On a side note, just to make my mouth water at the lusciousness of it all, I smeared coconut oil on the fridgie to restore the shine temporarily. It sure was pretty. But smearing oil on things is a bit gross (dust collector!) so I washed it off and tucked it into the display cabinet

Now, to find a horrendously metal marked Pyrex for a real testing of Bar Keepers. How hard can that be?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment