Wednesday, April 24, 2013

grilled yum with hummus

I eat a LOT of grilled cheese. Why? Well, first, it is easy. But mostly because it is cheese that's been melted to stringy perfection. [Love me some cheese!] Another reason I greatly enjoy grilled cheese is because it can be, shall we say, customized. Adding sliced avocado and smoked ham is one of my favorite go-to grilled cheese snazzier-uppers but recently I discovered how completely delicious hummus is on it.


** SIDE NOTE - If you were wondering about the tub of white stuff, it is coconut oil. Keith and I have been slowly phasing out butter in favor of coconut oil for health reasons. I will say that it does change the flavor of the sandwich and the first time I made grilled cheese with coconut oil it startled me, however, it is really good. It was a good startling :)
I am curious though - do you cook with coconut oil or does the flavor bother you?

2 comments:

  1. I've never cooked with coconut oil. I do use margarine (I actually dislike the taste of regular butter). (I use that for frying, or for certain foods, like green beans.) I use olive oil most of the time. Lots of olive oil. Every time we go to the grocery store, we end up buying more. We're big fans of olive oil, mushrooms, and garlic. Our favorite grilled cheese is roasted mushroom & onions with gouda cheese. It. is. amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasted mushed and gouda? geez, woman, you're making my mouth water! to kroger I go!

      Delete