Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Personal Pie

As you know, I don't cook.
Baking, however, is something that occasionally happens.
Because it involves sugar.
Not going to lie.


The other night my sweet tooth kicked in and I got creative and made this mini, couple-sized pie using the 3 apples on hand. Pretty much everything about this was improvised. As you can see, I used a bowl instead of a pan since it was the only thing the right size that could go in the oven.  (love Pyrex!) This and the smaller proportions led to some serious guess work about the baking time and temp. etc, etc.
Was it a stunning, award winning beauty? No, but all in all, it turned out really, really well.
Keith and I smashed it.
And lamented the lack of accompanying ice cream.
And ate it anyways.
:D

PS - Anyone have a tried and true method of softening brown sugar? We have tired a couple things and nothing works. Except the hammer. That works every time. But there has got to be a better way...


5 comments:

  1. I have a couple comments :)

    1. The first 4 sentences = my kitchen life in a nutshell ^.^
    2. I'm in total love with your pyrex! I keep hoping to find some... one day...
    3. I think the bowl pie looks wonderful
    4. Kudos to you for diving into an experimental baking adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel so much better to know that I'm not the only one lured to the kitchen by sugar. hehe

      Delete
  2. NICE! I haven't been THAT adventurous when it comes to cooking. I don't know if I would be able to completely do something from scratch and have it work out. My habits include: adding too much of a particular spice (which always leaves me evening it out with something else) and burning things. I'm quite good at that. I have to tell you, this pie looks amazing in that bowl! I'm so glad that you have Pyrex to do that with. Pyrex is amazing--you can bake with it, freeze it, serve it, microwave it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahahahaha! Not going to lie. The idea of a personal pie made me pretty much happy inside. Love the Pyrex! :) Hopefully the pie tasted just dandy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I am so impressed with all you do let alone this yummy pie dish.
    To get your brown sugar soft add a half an apple to the bag & let it sit overnight. Walla...soft sugar.

    ReplyDelete