Saturday, February 9, 2013

DIY Leather Clutch Pouch with SEQUINS!


Pouches are so ridiculously handy. It's like all the stuff storing goodness of a zip-lock bag made infinitely cuter and socially acceptable to tote around. Fortunately, they are also ridiculously easy to make! Can I just say I'm quite happy with the way it turned out - I love leather, sequins, and mint. So much pretty!



SUPPLIES: super soft leather, masking tape, needle, pain brush, beads, sequins, zipper, thimble, thread, paint - I used acrylic, sewing machine


STEP 1: After cutting the leather to size you want, sew the sides on the zipper.
STEP 2: Prepare the masking tape for painting my sticking in on your skin. This makes the tape less sticky and will prevent it from stretching and warping the leather later when pulling the tape off.
STEP 3: Apply the tape and paint
STEP 4: Peel the tape off and admire your crisp lines
** Since I used acrylic paint it did stiffen the leather. It does crackle a bit, but I quite like the texture it gives the leather. You can see what I mean in the first picture.


STEP 5: sew the sequins in place using a bead to anchor them. The leather I used to make this pouch is super, super soft so I was able to use a regular needle but, even still, I was definitely glad for a thimble.


STEP 6: With right sides together, stitch the 3 open sides together to finish your pouch. Flip right-side out!

*** If you wanted, you could always pop open a bit of the side seam and add a wrist-let strap. There is a good chance I'll do that since this baby is cute enough to carry by itself. Maybe I'll go do that now since Keith is taking me on a date tonight :)

 - - -
Do you love being crafty? ME TOO! Follow along on Bloglovin' so you don't miss the next bit of DIY goodness I have coming your way :) 
  

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shakti! I just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting Standpipe and Sprinkles, and leaving a little love. You have such a sweet space here, and are so talented! I hope you'll make your way over to our little piece of the web again, soon. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so nice. Well done. I too am a huge fan of pouches. You're right, they are so handy.

    ReplyDelete