Thursday, January 17, 2013

I made a jellyfish!

 Because of my last post, I wanted to show you a finished piece of fiber art I stitched together! It's a sweet little jellyfish that's made mostly from scrap bits. Mostly. The tentacles are actually an antique bit. I'm not sure whether to call it lace or ribbon, but either way it was passed to me from my great grandma and I'm 95% sure that she made it.

At first I felt a bit guilty for snipping up that lace ribbon (let's call it both, shall we?) but then something occurred to me: if my great-grand daughter even has and cherishes something of mine I will be thrilled. If she wants to use something I made in a project she is making I would be over the moon because that's about the coolest thing ever. So, I smiled and snipped and stitched.

I really, really enjoyed making this little jelly. It's always so satisfying to make things but the added element of using a bunch of scrappy, trash bound bits to make something interesting was incredibly fulfilling. My fingers are itching to make another piece.

Now, a tonnage of pictures...


The pictures don't give any hint to size, so if you were wondering, he measures about 6.5 inches from crown to tentacle tips, which is about the size of an adult hand.

**PS - if anyone knows the official name for the lace ribbon do tell!

7 comments:

  1. That is really cool! I've never tried fiber/textile art before... The lace ribbon works perfectly as tentacles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the idea of using lace as tentacles - that's so adorable. This would be really cute in a baby room or something

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! The handicraft of the ribbon is called Tatting. Great that you had this piece made by your great-gran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know that - I remember my mom telling me that women used it (much like knitting or cross stitch) as a form of relaxation. It blows my mind how tiny and intricate it is!

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty awesome jellyfish. Kinda jell-ous. (See, see what I did there?) ;) The little "head" reminds me of a pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so clever ;)
      His top is kinda pincushion-esque isn't it

      Delete
  5. this is sooo creative! love it :) excited to have stumbled upon your blog! new follower!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete