Monday, December 24, 2012

DIY Texty Magnets Using Polymer Clay


This little DIY texty magnet tutorial is super easy and can be personalized a million different ways and will add a bit of quirky personality to your kitchen. (Not to mention it also makes a great little stocking stuffer for all you procrastinators!)


SUPPLIES: Polymer clay, exacto knife, letter stamps, paint, paint brush, rag, tacky glue (optional), magnets


1) Make the "tablet". I found that the block of clay was nearly the perfect size straight out of the package so instead of mushing it up, rolling it out, and then cutting it, I skipped all that and just cut off thin slabs using the exacto knife and trimmed them up. Make sure that all the surfaces are smooth and even.
2) Stamp. Gently press the letter stamps into the clay.
Since I'm going to be giving these to my dad I chose BORK, a nonsensical word he says. If you were wondering, it means whatever tone of voice you use, although it is generally used in a negative manner.
3) Bake as directed on the package.

 4) Make those letters POP! After the clay has been baked, dab paint into the letter indents. Quickly wipe away the excess with a rag to reveal a word you can actually see.


5) Stick the magnet on the back (use glue if necessary).

Altogether, including bake time, this little project took about half an hour. It probably helped that I had picked out which word I was using before I started, otherwise I could see this project taking much longer because of indecision.

Merry Christmas Eve!

5 comments:

  1. Those are cute! So glad you explained the word, was seriously questioning your spelling! And I do see the indecision being a big issue!
    Merry Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I guess your dad doesn't read your blog??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does, but only occasionally, so I'm hoping that in the next 24 hours he does not :P

      Delete
  3. Ha! That's a funny word. I like it. Did your dad enjoy his gift? I think I may make some of these for myself sometime. :) Or, since I still haven't had to exchange presents with Aaron's family, I can make them some gifts, too. I'll have to be thinking of some words...

    Anyway, I hope that you had a wonderful, merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete