Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What I've been watching...

I suppose in a way that this is twisted, but just about every day I am thankful for Netflix. Documentaries are just so awesome! Learning and watching TV? Yes, please! These are a few plucked from the Recently Watched scroll that I think you might enjoy taking a gander at.

American Experience: Into the Deep: America, Whaling & the World

Random fact - sometimes I just flip through the list of options for a moment and watch whatever is landed on. This documentary was selected that way and so I was actually a bit hesitant about Into the Deep. It was so fascinating! If you asked me what I knew about whaling before watching this my answer would have been about 5 words long, two of which would have been Moby Dick. Clearly, I'm not an expert now but there is at least some base knowledge in my head. I also really appreciated that it didn't feel at all like I was in 8th grade history class when I watched this.


No Impact Man

Here is the premise of No Impact Man - a man, his wife, and their little girl decide to do a year long challenge of living in such a way that they produce no environmental impact in....NYC. Honestly, this wasn't filmed in such a way that it was riveting, but it WAS interesting. Watching them do without made me think about what I deem "necessary".

American Experience: Dolley Madison

This was sort of a docu-drama, with actors doing the narrations. I had no idea Dolley Madison (wife of President James Madison) was such a lively and influential woman. It is crazy and sad that she is not highlighted in schools, especially since she was a woman. Maybe it's just me, but studying her life, in the way that the doc presented it, was faaaaar more interesting and informative than cramming in a list of dates.




So there you have a few of my recommendations. Tell me friends, what other lovely documentaries should I watch?

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! No Impact Man! We actually just watched that one. A couple weeks ago, maybe? The fiance checked out that one and several other "green" or environmental or whatever documentaries. Again, he's really into those. The last ones we watched included "Sprawling from Grace" (supposedly about urban sprawl, but it ended up being more about oil and defense spending than anything else), "Farmingville" and "Dive!" (dumpster diving for food). "Dive" is only about an hour long. So many bearded dumpster divers, haha.

    Anyway, what did you think of NO IMPACT MAN?

    ReplyDelete