Sunday, July 1, 2012

Random Housekeeping Tip

Take your dirty area rug to a clean car wash and give it a good, high-powered blast.
Rug washing does not get any more easy-peasy.

And just in case you were wondering, by clean I mean one that doesn't have mud piles from other peoples dirty cars all over the pavement. 


About 5 years ago I purchased a white rug from Ikea. Being a smart one, my next purchase was a can of Scotch Guard. While the Guard has done a wonderful job of making stain removal and spot cleaning easy it doesn't prevent it from getting an overall, grimy feeling. So over the course of it's 5 year life I've given it 3 thorough (meaning more than just a wet rag and a dab of soap on the spots) cleanings. I have learned a much. Mostly, what I will not do again.

The first washing - with a steam cleaner. It cleaned well, but that machine was so hard to maneuver that it actually shifted the rug around. Effective but meh.
The second cleaning - a garden hose and some scrub brushes. Never again.
The third - a car wash.  It took 6 minutes, cost $3.50, and left the rug with the fluffy 'new' feeling. GLORIOUS.
Once it was clean we just rolled it back up, put it on trash bags (lack of tarp) in the back of the jeep, and then spread it out in the driveway to bake dry in the sun.

**Just for the record, after every washing I apply another can of Scotch Guard.

Now, I'm not Martha Stewart so I'm not a fountain of housekeeping tips, but when I do share one it's especially clever. If you don't want to miss any future bits of genius, follow along on Bloglovin' :)
 

6 comments:

  1. that's a great idea!!! i never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you can see it took a few years for my brain to strike genius and even then I think it came up with it purely out of desperation and dread lol

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! It's such a great idea that I would never have thought of. I would definitely try the garden hose and scrub brushes idea, but now I've been forewarned against that!

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why never again with garden hose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would you not do the garden hose and scrubbers again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly because the garden hose we were using did not get very good pressure even with a nozzle so instead of the water stream doing the work, we had to do the work with the scrub brushes and soap. It wasn't impossible, but it definitely wasn't the easiest. At the car wash, we turned on the soapy water and basically power-washed the rug. It was FAST and didn't require us bending over and crawling around on a soggy rug. Once the spots were blasted away, we turned it to "rinse" and got all the soap out. No scrubbing involved :)

      Delete