Sunday, June 3, 2012

Interview: Loulou from Loulou Downtown

Lovely Loulou is here today, sharing a bit about herself. Can I just say I really enjoy this lady?
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Hi Shakti. I am honoured to have been invited to be your Blog Buddy for the month of June. As you know, I'm a big fan of your blog and your friendly humorous style.  Hello and a wave to Shakti's friends who are reading this! 

1) Share three random facts about yourself :D
1 - From a family of four children I am the only one with brown eyes and dark hair, among a group of blue eyed blonde siblings. Also I am the only left-handed person in my family.
2 - I have very good aim and were I to work at it would probably be able to win a trophy for playing darts!
3 - I am a bit of a germaphobe and do my very best not to touch things like door handles when I'm out and about, and I wash my hands often.  The other day I went to and from an appointment across town, taking the streetcar and subway to get there, and didn't touch a single thing in my travels. After many years of using the subway, I can surf it like a pro and not have to grab a support pole, while it weaves and lurches from station to station!  I could go on about the manner in which I avoid touching things, but I'm afraid I will begin to sound like I need help.  I can honestly say that I am the only person I know who hasn't had a cold or flu for literally years though!

2) What is the most played song on your ipod? 
That would have to be Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  I love Karen O's voice and style.

3) Do you have a life verse, mantra, or mission statement that you go by?
I actually have two that I live by ...
"The journey is the prize" which reminds me that having goals is a good thing but rushing through life in their pursuit means much time not enjoyed.

The second is the Latin phrase "Nil Desperandum Illegitemi". Roughly translated it means "Don't let the bastards get you down" and was quoted to me by my Nick's elderly aunt Lucy (now deceased) when we visited her in Edinburgh shortly after we were married.  She was referring to our pursuit of an artistic and musical life-style, and her advice was well founded in that, as a single mother who had earned her living as a successful author writing fiction and non-fiction, she knew all about the trials and tribulations associated with such a choice. 



4) You obviously love blogging. What have you learned about yourself through your blog? 
The two of us happen to have hooked up as blog partners for the month at an excellent time because June is my first anniversary of writing this blog, and I do love it! It began after Nick bought me an ipad.  Before then, I barely knew about this wonderful world of blogland!  Spending hours working on a computer for a living I had previously found little time to explore, though I had been reading Tavi Gevinson's blog for a while during little breaks. However once I got the ipad, I wanted to see what else there was to read so I followed links from her blog and was stunned and gleefully amazed at what I found!  Since then I have to say that my previous perpetual reading of fiction has dropped significantly as I have found so many interesting things to read, written by real people just like me! 

Sorry, got off on a bit of a tangent there. What have I learned about myself? That's a good question, the answer to which I sought by taking a look through my archives. Aside from the fact that I seem to have a lot to say, I discovered that I seem to look at the bright side of life.  Before blogging I liked to
think that I did, but reading what I've written makes me believe that it is true.  Of course I have had difficulties and heartbreak in life like everyone, including a significant blow during the year in which I've been blogging, but it seems either I keep that all bottled up inside really well, or I have managed to see the positive side of things.  Or I could be a really good editor but I honestly don't feel as though I've been trying to hide anything in my writing.

5) What accomplishment are you most proud of? 
I put myself through a four year honours program at university, receiving a Bachelor of Commerce degree.  When I first began down this road my intention was to obtain a business degree that I could then apply to a life spent as an artist and musician.  But upon graduation I had student debt to deal with and the arts just won't cut it if you're trying to pay bills, so I got a corporate job.  To my surprise I had a real aptitude for business and climbed the ladder quickly reaching the top of my profession within 6 years of graduation. I am proud of that but that's not the part I'm most proud of ... that would be that throughout all that day-job work, I never stopped doing art and music. 

In the evenings I have taken several photography courses, weekly guitar lessons, dancing lessons, have done a jewellery making course, a fashion drawing course and have taken some singing lessons.  Also my husband and I formed a band shortly after we were married and have worked at it consistently, including doing two live on-line shows just two weeks ago.  My artistic pursuits don't come near paying the bills but they're good for the soul.

6) How about a failure? Care to share any wisdom you learned from the experience? 
My biggest regret in life will always be that I married the wrong person the year after graduation.  My happy marriage to Nick is my second (and last if our hearts' desires to grow old together are fulfilled).  In looking back I now see my first marriage was me looking for security.  At the time I had no idea I would be able to build a career such as that which I have, and he was a newly minted graduate of medical school.  Sure I felt I loved him but recognized that the union was not right shortly after the honeymoon was over.  But I stayed in the marriage, feeling it was my responsibility, for too long before finally ending it.  The wisdom learned is don't let anyone else steal your time. It is your most important gift in life and wasting it in a situation that is not ideal is a tragedy.  Maybe a little overly dramatic but I mean it!  It's easy to make the mistake of hooking up with the wrong person, however the key is to recognize it quickly and do something about it right away regardless of the scary consequences.

7) What age were you when you felt like you'd become an adult? 
It would have been the moment my parents pulled away from the curb after driving me to my first year of university, which was in a city 3 hours away from Toronto (Queen's University in Kingston). I was 19.

8) When you have 30 minutes of free time what do you do?
Well, you already know my guilty pleasure Shakti!  It has to do with a little blue controller attached to an Xbox!  I just finished the game Skyrim and am thinking about what I'll play next.

9)  How now brown cow? 
I love the way you've worded this question which I take to mean "What's next?". This first year of blogging has been so inspiring and fun for me, so I plan to continue as I have been.  Creatively I want to get back to doing some things that I have given up over the past years, including writing fictional short stories, drawing and sewing.

Thanks again Shakti. I look forward to the fun times you have in store for us this month!

3 comments:

  1. This was an enjoyable interview, I'm with you on arts feeding the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a huge fan of Loulous for quite sometime and I really love all of these responses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Loulous blog is such a nice mixture o different things and I truly enjoy her lifestyle :) I enjoyed the interview, I think we have a lot of things in common and I agree with a lot of things here :)

    ReplyDelete