Sunday, March 25, 2012

DIY: Glitter Star Hair Pins


Feeling the need for a bit of glitter, I wanted to make something small that could easily be incorporated into an outfit without overwhelming or looking like Ke$ha attacked.  Enter cutesy little bobby pins! They were so easy to make that I won't even feel bad if I only wear them a couple times.

To make them, you will need these SUPPLIES:
bobby pins, cardstock, scissors, tacky glue, paint brush, thin beading wire, thumb tack, glitter, and a sealant (mod podge works fine)


1) Draw your stars! I made mine about the size of my thumb print.


2) After the stars are cut out, glue the bobby pin to the blank side of the star. As you can see, I used my drawing as a guide but modified the final cut out.

3) Once the glue is dry, using the thumb tack poke a hole on either side of the bobby pin. Thread the wire through the holes, looping through the 'inside' of the bobby pin for extra stability. Give the wire a twist and snip off the excess.


4) Coat the top of the star with glue and sprinkle on the glitter. Be sure to shake the excess off and allow to dry thoroughly.

5) To keep your scalp glitter free, apply a generous coat of sealant on top of the glitter.

That's it! Easy-peasy, yes?


3 comments:

  1. I love these! I wear bobby pins constantly, and these are so darn cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun fun fun! i love gold glitter!

    ReplyDelete