Monday, January 23, 2012

DIY: Revamped candles PART 1 - The Wick


Alright, I have a pretty nifty DIY that will require you to buy NOTHING! If you're anything like me you already have all the supplies tucked away in your craft closet, bathroom, and kitchen junk drawer. I'm going to show you how I took a pile of mostly-burned-out-but-too-good-to throw-away candles and revamped them into burn worthy freshness.

This is PART 1 - How to make the candle's wick
YOU WILL NEED: A metal can (to use as a double boiler), pot, wax, salt, and 100% cotton thread - I used embroidery floss

1) In a cup, soak the cotton thread in a mixture of warm salt water. I used a lot of salt and let mine soak overnight. Remove the thread from the water and allow to dry completely.
2) Start melting the wax in the double boiler.
3) While the wax is melting, tightly braid the cotton thread. I decided to do a long braid that I could cut into smaller wicks instead of doing a bunch of small braids.
4) Drop the braid into the melted wax and let it saturate. I left the braid in the wax for several minutes just to make sure it was really soaked before I fished it out.

That's it! Once the wax has hardened the wick is ready. Easy-peasy, yes?

 - - -
Do you love being crafty? ME TOO! Follow along on Bloglovin' so you don't miss the next bit of DIY goodness I have coming your way :) 
  

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I love the owls!! My quilting buddies and I are making some here on Thursday! They are so cute. I made one for Grandma for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete