Saturday, October 8, 2011

DIY: magnetic chip clips

Maybe it's just my home but there never seems to be a chip clip handy when needed. There was such a shortage in our kitchen that on more than one occasion I've just used a paperclip. Now we lack no longer! Today I made a bunch of pretty clips using stuff I already had.


They are so easy to make! Seriously it will take you less than 30 minutes. All you need is a ruler, an Exacto knife, clothes pins, various buttons, paint chips, magnets, and glue. Oh, and scissors.

The first thing you want to do is measure your clothes pins and cut off a strip of the paint chip in the corresponding width. My clips were just a hair under a centimeter. Don't worry about the length, you can trim the excess off later. Smear some glue (any glue will work) on the clothes pin making sure to cover the entire surface adequately. Stick the strip on.

 After the strip is stuck onto the clip trim off the excess paper.

If you are using a magnet strip like me, you might need to cut it in half so that it won't hang off the clothes pin. Normal scissors work fine for this. If you're not using this type of magnet just ignore this step :)


Attach the magnet to the back of the clip. Mine were self adhesive however I did need to use a dab of glue on a couple of the ends because they kept trying to curl up.


Now the final, fun part! Pick out the buttons you want to glue on.
I recommend using E-6000 glue because it's awesome stuff. It's not the glue I used here since my 6000 dried out, but 'do as I say, not as I do' and use 6000. (Available at Hob Lob, Wal-mart, etc)


That's it! Put them on your fridge and be happy you don't have to dig for a paperclip next time you want to keep your Doritos fresh. :)